Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Focus

No school, no work day #2.....needless to say the house has turned into a mess with both us girls at home.  With that said, I asked my daughter to take a couple of water bottles down stairs to the kitchen for me so I could pour out the excess before putting in the trash.  At the time I asked her to help me out, she was down stairs watching cartoons relaxing on the couch.  She is starting to fall into the category of lazy with a case of boredom as the weekend has turned into an extended weekend.

When my daughter got upstairs, I handed off 3 bottles to her, this should have been an easy task.  Take the 3 bottles (small bottles) downstairs to the kitchen.  The steps are as follows:   hold bottles, take bottles, walk down stairs, leave bottles on kitchen counter.  Simple right???  Well......we will see.  About 5 seconds after she headed down the stairs I hear, THUD THUD THUD.........I come running.  I find the bottles at the bottom of the stairs and little missy just standing there watching the TV.  After I ask her if she is OK, she turns to me and says YES,  "I just dropped the bottles" she said. "Billie, why do you think you dropped the bottles"?  "I just did" she said.   "You just did, did you"?  Momma!!!! (said with sarcasm).  "Billie, I think you dropped the bottles, because you took your focus off of the task at hand, and put your focus on what was on the television.

IMMEDIATELY Matthew 14:29-30 rushed over me:

He said, "Come ahead".  Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus.  But when he looked down at the waves beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink.  He cried, "Master, save me!"

See, when Peter lost focus on Jesus, he fell in the water.  And when we lose focus on the task at hand, we will fall too.

I tried to explain to my daughter, that if she would have just paid attention to the task she was given, and not been trying to watch the television as she was walking down the stairs, she would not have dropped the bottles.  However, being a 6 year old little girl, she just looked at me like I was crazy, and tried to give me 10 different reasons why she dropped the bottles that didn't point at the television.

Let's remember keep focus on the tasks that God gives us.  As hard as it is, we must focus on His works, not ours.  When we lose sight of Him, we will fall. But when we do fall, remember, He is always there to help us back up again.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete