Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Stepping Out

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt uncomfortable because you were asked to do something that you had never done before.  Something that took you out of your comfort zone?  Maybe something like public speaking, or going to a fancy event.  I have had several times this has happened to me, but one in particular stands out.  I was able to share this with a coworker this week, and I would like to share with you tonight.

See I never was taught how to pray for myself, let alone to pray for someone else.  I learned to pray by listening to the people around me pray out loud in church.  When my walk started with the Lord in 2009, I was capital GREEN about everything from prayer, Gods love, grace, fellowship....you name it, it was ALL new to me.

One particular Wednesday night bible study, our pastor at the time felt lead to ask if anyone needed prayer for healing in their bodies that night.  Several people across the sanctuary raised their hands.  And just so happen the lady next to me raised her hand.  She was a older middle aged woman, I would say late 50's possibly.  I did not know this woman by name, only by her face.  As she raised her hand, I knew what was coming next.  I knew the pastor was going to ask for us to lay hands and pray over those who needed prayer.  Needless to say, the butterflies started up.  How was I gonna pray for this woman I didn't know, let alone lay hands on her?

As I expected, our pastor asked us to bow our heads in prayer.  Then he proceeded to ask us to lay hands on the person closest to us that had their hand up for prayer.  Now I stood there for a second with my head down thinking no way can lay hands on this woman.  I don't even know her, and don't know what to say.  Then I heard the voice.  "LAY HANDS ON HER".  Really???  Me??  The voice repeated over and over.  I felt a tug at my heart, and a lump in my throat.  As nervous as I was, and as sweaty as my hands were, I reached out and grabbed that woman's hand.  I remember she gripped me so tight.  And from there the prayer just flowed.  I can't remember the prayer, or how long we prayed.  But I know that day was the first time I prayed over someone, and the last time I was nervous.  In that instant when I listened to God's voice, and stepped out to pray, I made a break through, as well as spit in the devils eye.

That was a moment of stepping out in faith, and doing what I was called to do.  I will never forget the release of years nervousness, and the flow of the Holy Spirit.  When we step out in His Spirit, chains are broken, and spirits are redeemed.



Philippians 4:14

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.


No comments:

Post a Comment